Tuesday 3 February 2009

In today's society...

So, this is an interesting subject for me, it's kind of to do with sexuality, but more to do with gender identity.
But, in today's multicultural society, why are people so surprised to discover there is more than one gender?
Surely people can differentiate with sex and gender?

The sexes I am aware of are:
Male.
Female.
Intersex.
I think it says it all that intersex isn't even in the dictionary.

For people who don't know what intersex is, intersex is the sex in which the person cannot be concluded as purely male or purely female. This is a natural sex.
This usually refers to someone with a mix of male and female genitalia.

Then gender, I don't understand why this confuses people so much.
Gender isn't black and white, never is it black and white.
Generally people consider there to be just male and female genders, but this does not accurately cover it at all.

One thing that struck me as odd is that when people come out as homosexual, pansexual, omnisexual, bisexual etc. people are often confused because they don't consider this normal of their gender/sex.
When it's actually completely normal.

Also why are people shocked over cross dressing? It's not something "dirty" which requires therapy.
I think it's pretty unfair that people should be made to feel that their emotions aren't natural.

So what if a guy wants to wear "women's" clothes, so what if a girl wants to wear "men's" clothes, so what if that person can't say they're a girl or a boy.
This is one of the things that annoys me about official documents.

Male.
Female.
and very rarely Transgender.
Why must these be our only options? It's somewhat unfair, right?

This was somewhat random, I realise this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with you.
It bothers me that we as a society have associated certain things to belong to males or females. For instance, why is pink a girl's color and blue a boy's color? Why can't a baby boy have a pink colored room. Why is this socially "strange?" :/ Also, why are barbies and make up for girls and not boys? But cars and dirt are for boys? It's really very unfair and it doesn't make sense. From the time you are born you are immediately taught what is for you and what is not. I think we'd be surprised of what a boy or girl may like if they were born into a society that did not have these judgements.
My second year Spanish teacher actually gave us a long talk about this... I really liked her. :) Whenever she went to McDonalds with her grandchildren and got them happy meals, the employee would ask, "Would you like a boy or girl toy with that?" which is ridiculous. My Spanish teacher would bitch them out about it. :D