Wednesday 18 March 2009

Supporting Israel -- NOT the Gay Thing to Do

To-day I was on facebook browsing when I received a notification from a cause I joined a while ago on the topic of supporting decriminalisation of homosexuality within the UN. Now, this isn't what I'll be blogging about, but let's start with some GOOD news, eh?
So, the notification is an announcement regarding the Obama Cabinet's decision to sign the UN gay rights declaration which the Bush Cabinet refused to sign. You can read the full article here.
So, that's the good news over the way.

Next, in the same group I came across a post in the forum entitled "Supporting Israel: It's the Gay Thing to DO."
Now, a while ago I posted a blog on the subject of the Arab-Israeli conflict regarding an Israeli attack upon the Palestinian people where hundreds of civilians (mainly women and children) were shot by Israeli snipers.
This blog, along with photos a Palestinian had taken of the attack can be found here.

Now back to this article, this article was basically an article posted upon a news website called Gay Wired. This article basically talks about how fantastic Israel is due to its treatment of the LGBT community and how fantastic it is that they're being proactive against Gaza and can be found here.

I'd just like to say that a lot of homosexual people think that as long as a country has gay rights, then it's all good. I believe that this is a very wrong way to think, it's a very unsafe way to judge a country. Sure Israel has gay rights, sure Israel's cities have gay pride parades, sure Israel has all this but does this justify the killing of civilians?

I know that the Hamas have launched terrorist attacks upon Israel but I also know that the Israeli government have sponsored the killing of Palestinian civilians.
I think there is a distance between a "terrorist group" fighting for their land and a developed country killing women and children.

Of course Palestinian members of the GLBT community face punishment for their sexual orientation, and I don't condone that what-so-ever, but like someone commented saying
My liberation is tied up with the liberation of any of the victims of oppression in the Middle East, whether they be queers under a murderously homophobic Islamic regime, or murderously homophobic Muslims under a murderously Zionist regime.
I have to say that I completely agree.
Of course it's unfair that homosexuals are treat terribly at the hands of Islamic nations, but isn't it also unfair that people are being persecuted for nothing at all at the hands of a developed nation? Aren't human rights there to protect all humans whether they're homosexual or straight, Muslim or Jew?
It makes me mad to see that "gay politics" seem more important to some people than basic human rights, human rights which have been denied to many Palestinians for more than forty years.

I realise that I know nothing about politics, but I do recognise unfair treatment and this is exactly what it is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude that's amazing that the Obama cabinet is doing this :) very very good :)
Also..
Agreed.
While gay rights ARE very important and I am totally in support of them, that has nothing to do with the fact that innocent people are being killed and should most definitely NOT be used as a reason to support Israel. That's like me killing a household of innocent people, but because I support gay rights, everyone loves me. I mean, wtf, that is NOT okay.

Dudeee you have very strong emotions about this, I can tell :) You would actually be really good in something dealing with foreign affairs :P but you would be a good teacher too..dude you would be good at A LOT of things.

(including working my street ;))