Tuesday 9 March 2010

錯乱 (Confusion)

When I titled this blog entry "錯乱" or "Confusion", it was purely due to it being the song currently playing, but it ties in quite well with this post.

Ringo Shiina. Alan. Ai Otsuka. Chihiro Onitsuka. Gackt. Shakira. Hikaru Utada. Regina Spektor.

What do all of these artist have in common? Other than them being singers, they're all also songwriters. I listen to so much music which is created by this type of person and it struck me as odd. I'm attracted to artists who create their own songs and play instruments, yet I'm currently not playing myself? So odd.

I've been wanting to blog for quite some time, but I've had nothing to talk about until now.

Well, my topic for today is music and instruments! Until a few years ago, I used to play guitar, but due to lack of interest and lack of willpower I stopped, but listening to the music I do made me think. I can't sing, my lyrics aren't good and I can't compose. So, before you start thinking that I want to be a songwriter, that's not an option!

You could say I've been "inspired" finally. Sometime this week I'm going to resume the guitar and aim for proficiency. So, wish me luck!

This leads me to another subject. Currently I'm half-heartedly searching for a job, but this week is going to be my last week of laziness! I'm going to start job-searching in earnest.

I'm going to end it there with these lyrics:

If you only look,
It will never be in reach,
If you only look,
It will never be yours
-Catcher In The Light, Ayumi Hamasaki

6 comments:

. said...

Hi Joel :) Oh I didn't know you were a guitarlist!Which kind of guitar did you play , and will you resume?:) //I haven't touched my guitar RITCHIE recently...:O You made me remember that!Thanks* //I don't think your poems are bad. And lyrics come from poems,don't they?Then you don't have to worry about it :) Good luck!!! You would have plenty of topics for blogging relating to your new job and music someday soon:)

Joel said...

Thank you for your comment. :D
I do play guitar (very badly at the moment though) I play both electric and acoustic, but I prefer the sound and versatility of acoustic guitar, what about you?
I'm gonna start playing guitar again very, very soon. :)
How long have you been playing? :D

Ah, thanks for your comment on my poems. :)

. said...

I play the electric guitar :) I have been playing it for...2 months or so! :) I can play only 3 or 4 phrases...but it is so cool :)(if I could play more quickly with skilful movement of my hands!)

Joel said...

It's okay, because you'll be able to improve, I found it was helpful to practice scales, it helps your hands move faster! :)

. said...

scales....I know of them...yes I hear it is good for becoming a better guitarlist :) It seems I jumped some steps (phases?)!!!

You changed your photo :)*g*

Joel said...

Ah, perhaps, I do the same, I'm too eager to get to a high level! LOL

Yeah, I did, this one is much newer! XD